Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Progress Update 12: Kimberly With Roses


"Kimberly With Roses" egg tempera on panel in progress (click the image twice for a larger view)

Due to several projects I must work on this Fall offline, it's been a while since my last post, but my work on "Kimberly with Roses" continues. I have laid down an initial underpainting in two layers on the background, added to the bottom of the painting, and have also decided to re-work several portions of the veil on the left side, to balance out the amount of decoration on the left and right sides of the veil. One advantage egg tempera has over acrylic and oil is that I can still either wash off or scrape off with my palette knife an area which is already dry to the touch and completely re-work it as you can see me doing here on the lower left side of the painting.

7 comments:

martinealison said...

je suis vraiment impressionnée par le travail que vous produisez avec cette méthode de la détrempe à l'oeuf...
Les résultats sont tellement époustouflants...
Bisous

Mona Diane Conner said...

merci Martine!

Gary Keimig said...

wonderful work Mona.

artbyakiko said...

Hi Mona! This one is absolutely beautiful! Those roses are so real. I can almost smell them.

Mona Diane Conner said...

thank you Gary and Akiko!

Zainab A. said...

Oh this is lovely. I love a lot of your pieces. I wanted to ask what's a good way to practice with pastel. I've never used it before, so I wonder if you could give me some tips. Upto now I've mostly done pencil sketches; mainly human + animal portraits. I wanted to try somnething new and i decided pastels would be interesting. thanks!

Mona Diane Conner said...

Thanks Zainab, I've tried to offer a few tips by demonstrating my pastel paintings and egg tempera paintings in steps throughout my blog, and discussed a bit about some of the surfaces I've worked on, so I recommend scrolling the blog and looking things over if it helps.

If you'd like to be on my mailing list for any workshop opportunities, just let me know.