Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Step #1 of new egg tempera panel painting / Egg Tempera Workshop announcement


egg tempera panel painting in progress, detail of a 20" x 15 3/4" rectangular birch gesso panel (click image to see it larger)

This post represents three days of preparation for the start of a new egg tempera panel painting (transferring my drawing and laying in portions of my underpainting.) The drawing is a bit hard to capture in a digital photo because it is composed with the light blue lines of transfer paper (see the drawing in my previous post for details), but I will be showing this painting too in it's ongoing stages of progress as I continue to complete the first panel painting.

Some of you who have followed my blog will recall that it is quite normal for the first several layers of egg tempera on panel to be raw in appearance, but if anyone has questions in general about egg tempera painting, I want to let you know that I am planning to try an in-person egg tempera workshop this summer if at least 10 people would like to attend. Dates, cost, and details to come when I know how many are interested, but it will take place in Brooklyn, NY.

If you'd like to participate in my workshop, please email me at: mona@monadianeconner.com, and please let me know also if you have a preference for doing it in June or in August.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mona.

First off your blog is a massive inspiration to me.

I am just starting out Tempera painting and was wondering if you had any book recomendations, websites etc etc where I can learn about tempera painting?

I already have this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Tempera-Painting-Daniel-Thompson/dp/0486203433/ref=pd_sim_b_1.

Thanks

Paddy

Mona Diane Conner said...

Paddy, thank you. I also do egg temperas on my miniature painting blog which is linked here. I recommend several links, which also reminded me to add them to this blog (under "Other Links", under the followers block), but I'll list them here too: http://www.eggtempera.com is the Society of Tempera Painters, and http://www.eggtempera.org, is also an excellent resource.

I see you are in England, perhaps near my egg tempera friend Rob Milliken. After you have looked over eggtempera.com, try contacting him through the Society of Tempera Painters, since he is active in the British branch. Best wishes, and thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Mona :)

I appreciate you taking the time to share.

Mona Diane Conner said...

You're welcome Paddy. You have one of the classic books on egg tempera, and I forgot to mention there too if you haven't discovered it yet, there is also a group over on Facebook now called "Egg Tempera Painters".

Dean Grey said...

Mona!

Her hair looks great already and you just started! Uggh, I'm jealous!

Congrats on the upcoming workshop too! If I lived in NY, I'd so be there!

-Dean

Mona Diane Conner said...

Thanks Dean. I'd love to have you try a workshop or just meet up over coffee too if you ever get out to NY at any time.