Thursday, April 16, 2009

New Drawing & Art Opening at DFN Gallery


new drawing for the 'Mary' in Kimberly series

(detail of drawing, scanned version)

Silhouettes surround "Smirk,"48" x 64", oil on linen, by Alyssa Monks at DFN Gallery opening in Manhattan


Alyssa Monks chatting with friends and patrons at the opening

I've been working on some more drawings of Kimberly, and a new one is posting here on top. 

I also wanted to share with you a great art opening that I attended last week in Manhattan,---a dual show for Alyssa Monks and Dozier Bell.  Dozier Bell was not present in person because she had another show opening simultaneously in Maine, but I was fascinated by her miniature drawings which are done in charcoal on mylar, so much so that I'm going to try out working on mylar too!  A link to some of the drawings by Dozier that I enjoyed seeing at DFN are here.

I've followed the inspiring work of Alyssa Monks via her website, and have attended a few shows featuring her work, but this was my first opportunity to meet her in person.  She was lovely to meet, and her new paintings are wonderful!  Alyssa teaches a special course in 'flesh' painting, and some of her work involves self-portraiture.  When seen firsthand her paintings are large and surprisingly loose.  It was a real treat to enjoy the work of both Dozier and Alyssa at DFN, a great combination of very large and very tiny artwork which dramatically demonstrates how both formats can have great emotional impact.

8 comments:

Debra Keirce said...

Your drawing is wonderful, and it looks like you had fun at the opening. Do you know...I've never been to one. I don't know why. I just never have. Something new to add to my bucket list!

Edward Burton said...

Very beautiful drawing, Mona.

artbyakiko said...

Beautiful drawing! I love her posture.
Works by both of these artists are just amazing! I thought "Smirk" was a photograph. Her works remind me of Gottfried Helnwein. I saw his works at the SFMOMA. He also does huge paintings.
Is mylar like a drafting film? I've recently found out about a drafting film as a support for colored pencil works. Thinking about trying it.

artbykarieann said...

Wow, I'm so glad to have discovered your blog, what talent you have.

Mona Diane Conner said...

Thanks everyone!

Akiko, I'm picking up mylar at Dick Blick. I think it might be the same thing that those mylar balloons are made out of, but I'll let you know when I get it. I wrote to Dozier for a few tips on using mylar, and she says it's a great surface. She mentioned that the "frosted" surface has a slight tooth which wears down fairly fast, so be careful not to overwork it. It's also important to avoid a 'wet' spot from blowing off the dust, since it's hard to cover up.

A while ago I saw film used on someone's blog for a colored pencil drawing of a cat that was amazing (sorry that I don't have the link to pass, but try the colored pencil or drawing forum on Wet Canvas), and I bet you can also do incredible things with that---it's another surface I'd like to try. I'm thinking that possibly it's a good surface for miniatures too, since it is so very smooth. Sometimes it can be a real watershed to try out a new surface.

Mona Diane Conner said...

Karie, of Pencil Portraits, thanks for your kind words about my work. We are mutual fans; your wildlife and animal portraits are quite beautiful!

L.Holm said...

Your drawing is so beautiful, Mona. I love the photos of the art openings, too, and thanks for sharing the link. I love seeing the artists and their work in situ--it helps to see scale. (and since my ability to travel is restricted for now, I reaaally love the art opening photos!)

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with mylar.

Dean Grey said...

Amazing pencil drawings, Mona!

Anatomically perfect and almost photo-realistic!

So damn impressive!

-Dean