Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Progress on "The 'Mary' in Terry #2," & "The 'Mary' in Unni"

"The 'Mary' in Terry #2," (in progress) 19 1/2" x 15 1/2", pastel on La Carte pastel board


"The 'Mary' in Unni," 11 1/2" x 8 1/2", pencil drawing
(click images to see them larger)

Apart from her talent as an artist, fine art photographer, and musician, my friend Unni's wonderful spirit has been an inspiration to me. She has made an amazing recovery from major illness for the second time. In the summer of 2005, around the time I first began to dip into the idea of trying to make spiritual portraits, I met Unni at a religious art show where we were both participants called "Spirituality in the Arts" at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, CA.

When I showed Unni one of my first studies (the one which is also the masthead for this blog) and described my series to her, she was so enthusiastic about it that she posed for me right on the spot, and this drawing is based on her pose at the art show. I haven't forgotten how her enthusiasm has energized my effort with this series. Just wish I'd done it sooner for Unni's 'Mary' portrait, but at least this drawing is a start.

Unni credits her recovery from illness in part to the practice of a gentle flowing form of hatha yoga, which she now teaches. Please take a moment to read more about Unni, at her website: Unni's Healing Yoga

4 comments:

Debra Keirce said...

I thought I posted here already, so if I did you can delete this post, but this is another masterpiece! Great work Mona!!

Dean Grey said...

Mona!

Congrats on Unni's recovery.

Love the drawing of her.

The Mary painting is coming along nicely too. It looks finished to me!

-Dean

FitFoodieMegha said...

Wowwww!!! What a superb painting...You are a magician with colors..:) Wonderful masterpiece..I like the colors and expression most!
Color Pencil Drawing: Lord Krishna with his mother

L.Holm said...

Beautiful, rich pastels, Mona. And inspirational about your friend Unni. She has a great site.